- 0.1 Very Easy! Lecture of How to Make an Origami Fox Mask
- 0.2 How to Make an Origami Fox Mask
- 0.2.1 1．Colored Side is Up, Make a Diagonal Crease, Turn it Over, and Make Horizontal and Vertical Creases
- 0.2.2 2. Fold it Diagonally, Open and Squash it
- 0.2.3 3. Fold it Up
- 0.2.4 4. Upside Down, Open the Pouch-Shaped Part and Fold it in Half
- 0.2.5 5. Turn it Over, and Fold it Inside on the Line Connecting the Upper and Lower Apexes
- 0.2.6 6. Fold it on the Line Connecting these Two Points
- 0.3 Completion of an Origami Fox Mask
- 1 Related Posts
Very Easy! Lecture of How to Make an Origami Fox Mask
Hello! I’m a writer of KARAKURIJAPAN, Yonosuke! I’ll introduce an origami work today!
I’ll introduce how to make an origami fox mask. As you can see, it’s a mask of fox. It’s called kitsune-men in Japanese.
Traditional Japanese Craft Masks
Masks have been known as one of the traditional Japanese crafts, and many kinds of masks are made other than fox masks which I’m introducing.
Especially fox masks are deeply related to Japanese culture, so they are worn in famous festivals at shrines and on New Year’s Eve in edo period.
Even now it’s familiar to Japanese people because we can find some at stalls in festivals.
Connection of Japan and Fox
Then why have fox masks been familiar in Japan?
This is because foxes have been faith as a messenger of God since long ago.
Foxes have been faith as a God of agriculture, and thought as a symbol of fertility and wealth. Foxes often appear in Japanese old stories as well. Even now some shrines dedicate deep-fried tofu for foxes.
Foxes are so religious for Japanese. Even I didn’t know that!
Foxes are deeply related to Japanese culture. That’s why fox masks have been familiar as well since long ago!
Then! Let’s make this fox mask from origami!
How to Make an Origami Fox Mask
I’ll explain it here, and also you can see the details in the video! Please watch it!
It’s effective to use red origami when you make a fox mask!
1．Colored Side is Up, Make a Diagonal Crease, Turn it Over, and Make Horizontal and Vertical Creases
▲Colored side is up, and make a diagonal crease.
▲And then turn it over, and make horizontal and vertical creases.
Creases are important to make origami works! Be careful!
2. Fold it Diagonally, Open and Squash it
▲Fold it diagonally. Open and squash it. Do same for the back side.
▲It should be like this!
3. Fold it Up
▲Fold up the front part of paper. Do same for the back side.
4. Upside Down, Open the Pouch-Shaped Part and Fold it in Half
▲Upside down. And open the pouch-shaped part and fold it in half.
▲It should be like this! Let’s go on!
5. Turn it Over, and Fold it Inside on the Line Connecting the Upper and Lower Apexes
▲Turn it over. On the line connecting the upper and lower apexes, fold it inside. Do same for the back side. Little more steps are left!
6. Fold it on the Line Connecting these Two Points
▲Fold it like this picture. These parts are fox’s ears!
Open and make it three-dimensional. Then it’s completed!
Completion of an Origami Fox Mask
An origami fox mask is completed! It exactly represents a fox mask!
Even though it might look difficult, it’s easy if you try! It’s interesting of the Japanese culture that you can make a fox mask from a piece of origami paper!
How did you make it?
You can see various origami works through KARAKURIJAPAN. Origami is one of the easiest to try among traditional Japanese culture!
Let’s feel Japanese culture by making origami works!
Get the latest.
Follow KARAKURI JAPAN Twitter on Twitter!Follow @karakuri__japan