- 0.1 Lecture of How to Make an Origami Treasure Ship
- 0.2 How to Make an Origami Treasure Ship
- 0.2.1 1. Make Diagonal Creases, and then Make Horizontal and Vertical Creases
- 0.2.2 2. Fold Four Corners to the Center Point
- 0.2.3 3. Turn it Over, and Make Creases to Put Four Corners together with the Center Point
- 0.2.4 4. Turn it Over, Fold it Following the Center Line, and Open and Squash it.
- 0.2.5 5. Turn it Over and Fold it to Put the Sides together with the Center Line
- 0.2.6 6. Turn it Over, Open from the Center, and Squash it
- 0.2.7 7. Pull the Left and Right Part to Open it
- 0.2.8 8. Turn it Over and Fold the Four Corners.
- 0.2.9 9. Fold the right side twice.
- 0.2.10 10. Fold it on the Line Connecting the Border of Colors and the Apex
- 0.2.11 11. Fold it in Half and Pull it to Make it Upwards
- 0.3 Completion of an Origami Treasure Ship!
- 1 Related Posts
Lecture of How to Make an Origami Treasure Ship
Hello! I’m a writer of KARAKURIJAPAN, Yonosuke!
I’ll introduce a traditional Japanese culture, origami.
Easy to Try – Traditional Japanese Culture, Origami
There are various traditional Japanese cultures, such as sado(tea ceremony), nihon-buyo(Japanese dance), tougei(ceramics), and kitsuke(kimono dressing). And we have countless traditional cultures.
The characteristics of traditional Japanese cultures are delicacy and beauty.
Most Japanese cultures that are highly evaluated in the world have these characteristics.
And that’s why they are seemed too formal to try. They look too hard to do for foreigners.
However, the traditional cultures which KARAKURIJAPAN introduces are all easy to try for everyone!
And one of them is origami. Origami is also one of the cultures which have been enjoyed by many people in Japan since long ago.
You can easily make various things by a piece of paper.
So let’s try origami on this occasion!
What is a Treasure Ship?
A treasure ship is a ship rode by the Seven Deities of Good Fortune with treasure, or a image of that. And it is also a season word for a new year.
A treasure ship has much treasure such as corals, gold, silver, and jewelry. That’s why a treasure ship is seemed fortunate and some ornaments or pictures symbolizing it is known as bringers of good luck. And the sail sometimes has the letter “baku(tapir)”.
A treasure ship is written in a mythology which has been told in Japan.
And in the mythology, the seven gods called the Seven Deities of Good Fortune ride the treasure ship carrying treasure. And that’s why it is often used for TV advertising in new-year season as a bringer of good luck.
The images with a treasure ship often have Mt. Fuji and a crane as well, which are also seemed fortunate in Japan. You might get good luck just by seeing it.
By the way, a treasure ship is called “takarabune” in Japanese.
Then I’ll introduce how to make an origami treasure ship!
How to Make an Origami Treasure Ship
I’ll explain it, and you can see the details in the video. Please watch it as well!
1. Make Diagonal Creases, and then Make Horizontal and Vertical Creases
▲At first make diagonal creases, and then make horizontal and vertical creases. Creases affect the completion of the work! Be careful!
2. Fold Four Corners to the Center Point
▲Following the creases, fold four corners to the center point. Make it a clear square!
3. Turn it Over, and Make Creases to Put Four Corners together with the Center Point
▲Turn it over, and make creases following the center lines. Don’t keep it folded, because it’s just to make creases!
4. Turn it Over, Fold it Following the Center Line, and Open and Squash it.
▲Turn it over, and fold it to put the sides together with the center line. Then it becomes a rectangle. And then open and squash it.
▲It should look like this!
5. Turn it Over and Fold it to Put the Sides together with the Center Line
▲Turn it over and fold it to put the sides together with the center line. You need dexterity here. Fold it clearly!
6. Turn it Over, Open from the Center, and Squash it
▲Turn it over, open it from the center, and squash it. Like this picture. It’s getting to look like a ship!
7. Pull the Left and Right Part to Open it
▲Pull the left and right part to open it. Be careful! Don’t tear it!
8. Turn it Over and Fold the Four Corners.
▲Turn it over, and fold the four corners. Few steps are left!
9. Fold the right side twice.
▲Fold the right side like this.
▲And then fold it again to make it thinner.
10. Fold it on the Line Connecting the Border of Colors and the Apex
▲Fold it on the line connecting the border of colors and the apex. It will be the pointed end of the ship. Completion is close!
11. Fold it in Half and Pull it to Make it Upwards
▲This is the most difficult step! Pull it to make it upwards. If you can’t understand how to do it, please watch the video to see the details.
At last, make a light outside reverse fold to complete it!
Completion of an Origami Treasure Ship!
A treasure ship is completed! It exactly represents a treasure ship. It’s amazing that we can make even a treasure ship from a piece of origami paper! Proud of traditional Japanese culture.
You might get good luck by displaying it!
I introduced how to make an origami treasure ship at this time! Please try making!
How was it? KARAKURIJAPAN introduces some other origami works as well.
You can make anything from a piece of origami paper! Let’s try!
Get the latest.
Follow KARAKURI JAPAN Twitter on Twitter!Follow @karakuri__japan